I absolutely love banana bread and this recipe is without a doubt my favourite. While many banana breads turn out quite dry and stale tasting, this one is moist, very banana-y and is simply just amazing with a cup of tea as a Friday morning treat!
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 125g Butter
- 125g Light Muscovado Sugar (you can use just regular caster sugar if you don’t have this)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Large Bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 80g Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Lightly grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin – I use these and they work perfectly
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, mashed banana and vanilla essence into a bowl and beat well
- Add the flour and stir into the mixture
- Remove a handful of chopped walnuts from the packet (for the top!) and mix the rest into the mixture
- Transfer to the prepared tin, scatter the reserved walnuts on top and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. You will know when the loaf is done when it is well risen and a knife, gently pressed into the bread, comes out clean
- Allow to rest in the tin for about 10 minutes then move to a wire tray to cool before serving!
To store, wrap in greaseproof paper followed by tinfoil, and place in a cake tin or sealed container. This should last between 2-4 days if you haven’t eaten it by then!